Monday, December 13, 2010

In America!

Sooo the flying was atrocious as always- you know, children and the like- but we're here safe which is always a good start! Spent two nights in Miami and now in Orlando; just been relaxing really but also have heaps of thoughts rocking through my mind... With a rental van-type car with automatically opening/closing doors and boot, and every second building being a fast-food joint, it's no wonder that obesity is a problem here. It's also kinda disgusting that everyone seems to have HUGE gas-guzzling SUVs as town cars... FOR ONE PERSON! Also, no-one here can drive to save their lives... The wealth of the states has created an equal poverty for some, and I was close to tears watching an old lady who reminded me of my Nana walking up and down the main street in Miami begging (we gave her money of course, my whole family was upset). But there are also some really inspirational aspects. The fact that 'tipping' is how everyone earns most of their cash here means that service is absolutely amazing and everyone's incredibly nice. Everyone also seems to enjoy drinking "light" beer and there's extensive advertising for it. With this stuff you'd pop before you were even remotely tipsy and I think little New Zealand can learn a heck of a lot from it!

SUB-POST... Nature Needs Heroes
On a lighter note, today we hit the shops for a bit! Bought a really nice pullover from Izod and two pairs of Timberland boat shoes. What I didn't realise is that they were from Timberland's "474" line to celebrate the opening of their new shop at 474 Broadway in New York. (Timberland is an inspirational brand btw. They're a shoe brand but very proud of how small their own environmental 'footprint' is- with a sticker on the bottom of their shoes stating figures for renewable energy used, chemicals used, eco-conscious materials used, 100% recycled content of shoebox, and the number of trees they planted from 2006 to reduce their climate impact)
The "474" Boat Shoe line consists of 4 different styles and only 45 of each was made. I bought 2 styles hehe collector much?  In all fairness I could have bought the whole line too and probably would've if I realised what they were!



Here are the two styles I bought...
I like! Keep rockin' people and I'll keep you posted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment